Monday, October 18, 2010

Peru, Cusco that is...



One weeks time simply wasn't enough to see everything the small town of Cusco had to offer. I stayed in the Pariwana Hostel, which I highly recommend if anyone is making their way to Cusco. My first couple of days were spent adjusting to the altitude. Arriving from sea level to 10,000-15,000 feet requires rest. The first day at about 13,500ft involved pounding headaches and stomach pains. The only thing that took these pains away would be the pressurized cabin of an airplane, which I will be seeing a lot of. After adjusting to the altitude, and not knowing what Cusco had to offer, the first day was spent wandering obliviously around the town trying to grasp my surroundings stumbling upon church after church, connected by beautiful plazas.



Each turn throughout the city was greeted with "Amigo, Al Paca this, Al Paca that" Of course I was suckered into making a purchase and then continued to see the city. Surprisingly everyone spoke english, but when put into a situation where no one did speak English I was given the responsibility. Lot of fun, but I still prefer my English over my Spanish. Over the next few days I would spend my time dodging Spanish speaking areas, and stuck up a conversation with the first blonde girl I would see. Rather happy that I did because she had the motivation to leave the hostel everyday. The week was planned to hang out with her group of European friends after playing a game of 38 person flipcup.



Rising from the nights slumber the days plan was to head to the local market after a warm cup of coffee. Jeff, new friend Ashley, and I were the only three to embark on this days journey. Jeff got me super excited telling me that Anthony Bourdain had visited this very place that we were going to eat. Upon arrival of the place that Jeff was talking about we noticed its location. It happened to be right next to the butcher aisle, which made the stomach turn from the sites and smells of peeled cow heads, moist livers, swollen cow testicles, goat things, and various pig parts etc. We ended up a few rows down from Anthony's spot that day, but still left with a smile on the face.



After the final sip of "Leche de Tigre" I hear "I want Quail eggs come out of the mouth from my new friend. Jeff concurs, and I'm fucking disgusted. Set off to find the Quail man, and now hes no where to be found. I dont care at the moment, and frankly im happy, but Jeff and Ashley are determined to eat their quail nuggets. Jeff steps up and says he will try to order some in spanish from a vendor. Quatro Quail heuvos? The vender returns with four packets of raw eggs that we now have to explain that we only wanted four single eggs. After settling for one pack Ashley ask "How are we going to cook em?" Jeff says that you just eat em raw, and now Ashley is disgusted. Ashley still on the hunt sends us deeper into the city. Things get denser by the second and backpacker by backpacker all seem to vanish. We take one more corner and Bam! Quail city, 3 vendors wheeling around their stupid egg carts. Fuck, I do have to do it runs through my mind.



Walking back to the Hostel with Quail embryo stuck to my teeth I can say that I am happy for my second day out of the hostel. After another night of nothingness I awake for the sacred valley tour. A trek that would include three ruins that surround the city. I really didnt know what to expect from this journey except for the fact that I was going to see green hills with intricate rocks constructed throughout them. There was a lot more to it then that. Each ruin was constructed in a way so that every piece of land would be used for Living, education, and agriculture. You have to go and here the stories, amazing.



One of my best days in Cusco is a day that no one would join me with except for Jeff, and thats cause this day was his idea. Cusco bungee, the highest in all South America and #4 in the world. The jump is set in the hills of city and I am nervous as we drive to our decent. Ill go first, jump on the scale then strap up, and away I go. The guy is trying to calm your nerves and ask if I have done this before, I say yes, and he replies how high? 30 meters, how many is this? 122. Didn't really help to much with my nerves, but then 3-2-1 bungee and I jump. Its a feeling that I don't really know how to describe with words, but after my feet touch back to the ground I'm off running in circles and laughing like a little kid. Definitely doing bungee again.




Machu Picchu was everything I built it up to be. Lucky enough to arrive early we were allowed to climb Wayna Pichu which allows a birds eye view of the famous Inca ruin. The trek is about an hour up and an hour down. The view from the top is worth it. Clouds rising from the valleys make the moment feel surreal until the moment that I remember that I dont do so good with heights kicks back in. Sitting back down to view the sights I struggle with ways to comprehend what I am seeing and how I will be able to explain it to everyone. Strange enough I can't. My camera struggles to capture the view that I want to show everyone when I return, and even if I did have that picture I dont think I could come up with 1 of the 1000 words that, that, picture would be worth.




All in all, the trip was great and I am happy to have that stamp in the passport. More to see though so I believe that it should pop up on my futures itinerary. As of know I have made it back to Buenos Aires to explore a little bit more. More stories to come, but their not gonna happen if I keep sitting on this computer. Maybe try to go and shoot archery at the bar again, who knows.



Thanks for lookin'
-C-

No comments:

Post a Comment